Family Caregivers: The Physical and Emotional Burdens

Before you automatically raise your hand and say "I'll take care of my spouse (mother, father, aunt, etc)," make sure you realize what you're getting yourself into. Unless they've done it before, most people can't even imagine the physical and emotional exhaustion experienced by a caregiver trying to care for a full size adult- in some cases one who is twice the size of the caregiver.

Answer these questions truthfully to determine if you would realisticcally be able to take on the role of caregiver:

  • Will I be able to help them transfer in and out of bed? On and off the toilet?
  • Will I be able to roll them over in bed to change clothing ad bedding?
  • Will I be able to help them bathe or shower?
  • Will I be able to get them dressed and undressed?
  • Will I feel comfortable providing personal care and hygiene for them?

No comments:

Post a Comment