Caring for a Family Member: Part 2

In my last blog, I mentioned a couple of facts that should be considered before offering to be the caregiver for a family member. In addition to the time commitment and adverse effects on your own health, you should also consider how you would truthfully answer these questions:
  • Will I be able to help him/her transfer in and out of bed? On and of the toilet?
  • Will I be able to roll him/her over in bed to change clothing and bedding?
  • Will I be able to help him/her bathe or shower?
  • Will I be able to get him/her dressed?
  • Will I feel comfortable providing personal care and hygiene for him/her?
These questions need to be answered for both your physical ability to provide care for a full-sized adult, and your emotional ability to provide intimate care to someone who was your sibling, parent, or grandparent.

No comments:

Post a Comment